Lawn Mower Reviews
To have a beautiful lawn, it should be mowed. And quite regularly, once a week from mid-March to late October, or more frequently for a flawless appearance. A bummer if you are ill-equipped! Choose a lawnmower for your garden can greatly ease the task and make yourself comfortable. The major brands of mowers (BOSCH, TORO, HONDA,BLACK & DECKER…) offer many models and options to reduce the time and effort. But how to make the right choice? All of our tips for finding your mower.
When purchasing your lawn, focus on certain criteria, which vary depending on:
- What is the size of the mowing?
- What is my budget?
- What do you want to make your lawn (leisure, sports, decor)?
- What will your mowing habits: regular, occasional?
- The maintenance of your lawnmower time can also be a determining factor in your decision.
How to Choose Lawn mower?
“The search for the perfect lawn mower! ”
WHY IS IT SO HARD?
Today, choosing a lawn mower becomes a real headache. Given the multitude of models offered by manufacturers, it is difficult to find the perfect lawn mower. Power, handling, options and prices are criteria.
Anyway, mowing should be fun and not become a weekly chore.
To help you in this quest, here are some technical details and a brief description of clippers that will allow you to narrow down your choices and not regret your investment and you can find most popular and recommended models in our website.
OPTIONS AND FEATURES
Start: It can be manual pulling of the starter handle on the handlebar by a spring in compression which operates the launcher, or electrically using a spanner to rotate.
Grinding (or mulching): Your mower will cut the grass into very fine particles, which settle to the ground between the grass almost invisibly, which will prevent you from picking up. This is a system that does not deplete your lawn because it gives it the nutrients absorbed during its growth, thus avoiding the use of fertilizers. Very fashionable, this system now equips many mowers kit or series.
Disadvantages, it will mow more often (2 times a week during growth).
Disengaging the blade: This system secures the blade without stopping the engine. Convenient when you need to empty the tank, cross a road or a rocky place.
Handlebar height: It should be adjustable to the height of the user, to avoid getting back pain. It must also be folded for easy storage.
The Bagger: It saves you having to pick up the grass after mowing. It should be easy to remove and reuse. Note however that the size, because they can be very heavy to carry when full!
Propelled: It is a system to move the mower alone, without effort. Generally, there is a bar that is kept pressed against the handle, which when released will stop the mower.
Feeding speed: Adjusts the speed of advance of the mower using a lever on the handlebar. Generally uses the pressure of the exhaust gas.
Adjusting the cutting height: The cutting height is important if you want a lawn (2 cm) or if you often spend little mower (grass). Some models offer this setting by a lever on the handlebar, more convenient than on wheels.
The wheels: They can be equipped with ball bearings to facilitate rotation.
The chassis (or case): Like a car, the chassis is the body of your mower.
Its role is to support the engine and its accessories to protect you from the blade to reduce engine vibration, promoting the removal of clippings with good air circulation and a suitable output, roll with the punches caused by the passage of objects (branches, rocks, metal …), to prevent corrosion and especially in the last time, while being as light as possible.
There are plastic frame, steel, aluminum, and Xenoy (plastic bumper cars). The latter material is lighter than aluminum by half for the same strength.
Cutting width: The blade lengths ranging from 30 cm to smaller clippers, with more than a meter for small lawn tractors (riding). Logically, the blade is more,the less time you spend mowing. Conversely, a larger blade requires a more powerful machine, and therefore the price of the mower will be higher.
The larger the surface, the greater the cutting width should be too. Choose a cutting width:
- 31 to 45 cm for small areas (up to 500m ²);
- 40 to 76 cm for medium-sized (500 to 1500m ²);
- 92-112 cm for large areas (more than 2000m ²).
The type of terrain
In flat terrain, you can use all types of mowers, mowers or rider. In uneven terrain, opt for self-propelled lawn mowers and large wheels. In wooded, choose a mower swivel wheels, or large rear wheels, if the field is large, a ride-on zero turn rider.
In rocky terrain, consider an ABS housing lifetime warranty.
Do you have a massive garden punctuated avoid when mowing? Your lawn will be very handy. Prefer a mower with large wheels, lightweight and ergonomic.
Observe the width of your aisles choosing the cutting width of your mower.
All types of lawn can be used on less than 10 ° slope. Between 10 ° and 15 ° slope, choose mowers towed. However, no manufacturer recommends the use of a lawnmower, whatever the model, on a slope greater than 15 °.
If you want to mow your lawn frequently, choose a mower with several positions of cutting height (some models offer up to 10).
To mow comfortably, choose a towed mower (less effort), with speed control, adjustable handlebar height and centralized setting the cutting height.
WHAT PURPOSE OF DIFFERENT MODELS?
A push or self-propelled, electric or gas (thermal), manual or automated, here are the main types of mowers available on the market.
The power of your machine must be directly related to the size of your lawn for your convenience.
Lawn Mowers Types
Type of terrain: flat, less than 300m ²
This is a hand mower must be grown without the aid of a motor. If you are a fan of the English lawn regularly maintained and a little physical exercise scares you, this is an ideal choice. These mowers have the advantage of being directly operational and fast to implement. They require very little maintenance, mow perfectly and are silent. Their less than 10 kg weight gives it great maneuverability and small footprint offers large storage facilities. If they are very effective during regular maintenance of your lawn, they show less docile if you leave the abandonment of your lawn for a few weeks …
If they have existed since the nineteenth century, they are still much improved. For a better cut quality, choose a high number of blades around the cylinder. Over the mowing, the blades become dull and cut less, which generally requires an annual sharpening. Proper adjustment of the space between the blades and the blade against is essential.
Corded Electric Mower
Type of terrain: flat and sloping, less than 600 m²
Electric mowers naturally find their place in the suburban areas, where land is relatively close to the house, where the proximity of the neighborhood requires some rules of conduct. They are quiet and powerful unlike some ideas. These small stout have varying powers, allowing them even to be propelled. It is the same power that define their cutting width ranging from 30cm to about 53cm. Another advantage is their lack of pollution parameter that important in the city. Their maintenance is minimized, they start easily and does not suffer from the problems of gas mowers. Some models are self-propelled, allowing access to steep areas.
They are not without fault either, the main one being the power cord, requiring the use of extension cords. They will be very painful in the gardens of the many obstacles to overcome, such as trees, shrubs and flower beds. The wire should not be cut, will require you to play “arm” for frequently out of the way of the mower.
Electric Lawn Mower battery
Type of terrain: flat and steep, 300m ² to 600m ²
Same as above, these mowers have the advantage of not having to wire. If they saw their lead batteries replaced by lithium batteries, autonomy rarely exceeds 45 minutes per battery. Generally, they come with two batteries, one charge and one in use. If they excel in ease of use, lack of power will be felt if you forget to mow your lawn for several weeks. They are convenient, but are also quite expensive to buy. Also check the cost of replacing a battery.
Gas Mower (called “thermal”)
Type of terrain: flat and steep (*) up to 2000m ²
Noisier than the previous, using this mower mat is often regulated by place of residence.
This mower uses super unleaded and has a separate oil tank. It will be perfectly at home on large, flat land. It is robust, reliable and often quite heavy (25-50 kg), which requires them to be propelled to the heaviest.
Engine sizes range from 100cc to 190cm ³ power ranging from 3hp to 6hp.
For maintenance, care must be taken to drain the tank before the period of winter storage, clean the air filter and spark plug, drain the oil tank and replace it with new oil, not to mention Drain gasoline. This is the price of reliability, otherwise the passage for repair may be required by the second season.
Note that there are models with oil injection, which allow to overcome the limit of 20% of maximum slope.
Type of terrain: flat, 400m ² to 20000m ² for some models GPS!
Much to say right now, this mower twenty-first century is very expensive, and installation is carried out by a professional. An electric cable is buried to define the scope of mowing robot, which will cause it to change direction in its approach. However, there are models without cable to install fewer. These mowers are very powerful, so they must navigate daily and long on the lawn to make a cut to the millimeter. The advantage is not having to do anything, not even to pick up. The top models go to recharge themselves on their charging station, the other must be reloaded manually by the user. The battery life is approximately 1 hour, and the cutting speed ranges from 50 sqm / h 200 sqm / h depending on the model.
For maintenance, nothing to do but check occasionally blades, which easily changed, but frequently (every 1-3 months). The batteries on the other hand are more resistant, their life is claimed for 2-3 seasons. Note that they all offer (with rare exceptions) the “mulching” standard feature since they do not have a pan.
Type of terrain: flat, up to 2000m ²
Here’s a special kind of lawn without wheels. The air drawn through the top or sides is powered by a turbine in the housing (the body that houses the blade), causing the floating mower. Theoretically, this is perfect, no friction, total freedom of movement. They are either electrical wire or gas (thermal). The first is perfect for small areas less than 400m ², others sail on land up to 2000m ². Very handy because of their lack of wheels, they disconcerting some what accustomed to conventional mower by the effort to prevent the translation perpendicular to the direction. They may be used on steep slopes and not play Japanese, borders or boundaries of terraces massive.
Ideal for regular maintenance, they are rather clumsy with tall grass. The absence of a drip tray and all-round projection of the grass does not suit those with a terrace next to the lawn. A book so meticulous to users who regularly maintain their turf.
Type of terrain: flat, from 2000m ²
In the heavyweight category, here are the mowers, ie, small tractors mowing. Gasoline-powered, these mowers are very powerful, allowing swallow square meters at record speeds. Bids are numerous, as well as their options. For some tips, prefer those with hydraulic transmission (hydrostatic) that allow users to easily navigate between obstacles without stopping, unless you have to tow a trailer, in which case the mechanical transmission is preferred. The mono block frame are less sensitive to vibration, guaranteeing longevity. Do not be too greedy on the cutting width if your land is not flat at risk of ending up in trouble, as the block deck arriving on a bump. The flue must be as wide as possible to remove the grass and avoid congestion, which can happen when the grass is high and / or wet.
Best lawn Mowers Brands
Before making purchase you must compare between lawn mower brands .you must choose the popular and trusted brands .below most of lawn mower brand familiar and I show up frequently in my rating for 2013:
- Black & DeckerBlack and Decker is a leader company in manufacture and marketing of lawn mowers types. Mowers of black and decker are existing in only sub-20-inch mowing widths, mulching and rear bag.
- Briggs & StrattonOne of the top engine makers, lawn mowers, tractors, and zero-turn riders. Its lines appear to be aimed at the value segment at retail.
- CraftsmanOne of the market leaders in lawn mower and tractor Husqvarna are made the most of models for the craftsman. Most Craftsman lawn tractors feature Briggs & Stratton engines. Craftsman lawn mowers are gas powered, but offers a corded electric and an electric rechargeable model.
- Honda Honda does not make electric mowers but makes gas lawn mowers with unique drive systems. Honda lawn mowers have innovative features and come at suitable prices.
- HusqvarnaHusqvarna make lawnmowers, tractors, and zero-turn riders. Its lawn tractors have fully featured and have deck widths in the popular 42- to 54-inch range.
- John DeereThis great brand recognition extends to mowers as well. Best-selling lines of lawn tractors at retail.
- ToroToro use innovative technologies to make cutting as easy as possible for you. Toro have many of walk behind mowers, ride-on models and zero turn mowers.
You made your choice: manual or electric, wired or wireless! That’s good, but it remains to know some criteria that will help to narrow your choices.
- The engine power is important. Most of the time, it ranges from 1000 to 1800 watts. The difference is important in terms of outcome and effort.
- There are two possible types of boot: The simplest and cheapest is the manual start. However, it takes effort and elbow grease. The electric start is immediate, fast and effortless. More expensive, it is always coupled with a manual start.
- We must also take the width of cut lawn mower makes more it is wide, you will spend less time to mow … Elementary course, but these are details that are not always dream. This width will of course vary depending on the model and can range from 28 cm to 53 cm, almost double the time spent to mow!
- Check the height of cut possible. They are at the wheels of the mower but depending on the model, the setting does not always prove easy.
- The shape of the housing is also important for proper disposal of grass. But the proposed materials also play a role: the polypropylene is lightweight and durable, ideal for electric models. Steel is obviously strong and cash shocks. It is also easily fixable, but requires a minimum of maintenance. Aluminum is lighter and enhances maneuverability.
- Remains a convenient option: The mulching, avoiding the collection of clippings. The grass is chopped so finely that it is useless to pick up, and instead they feed your lawn as a natural fertilizer.
Tips mow the lawn
- Mowing alternately opposite directions each time the grass is cut.
- Don’t mowing lower than recommended height.
- Never mowing wet grass .
- Use trimming devices to mowing corners and edges grass of the lawn.
- Prune all weeds.
- During the season of high growth mowing grass weekly.
- Use the right mower for your lawn.
- Last time before winter mowing grass shorter than usual .
- Return grass shredded leaves in the garden to ensure that the nutrients are returned that have been taken away while mowing to the park.
- Take care and mow with a safe position and Preventive measure.
Lawn Mower safety tips
Lawn mower is one of the most dangerous tools around the home. While MOST people use riding lawn mowers without incident, accidents from unsafe practices do occur.
Lawn mower juries are of two types:
- Direct injuries. These are caused by the blades of the mower striking either the operator or someone else, usually a child who has fallen into the path of the mower Injuries to adults usually involve the fore foot, causing at the least lacerations of the toes and, more seriously, complete or partial amputation of one or more toes, the wounds being contaminated with grass and soil. We have found2 that these forefoot injuries tend to occur when the operator is using the mower going down a wet or dew-damp slope, when his feet slip from under him and slide under the protective canopy of the mower into the blades. Lasting squeal of such injuries are disturbance of balance, gimping, and diminished walking distance due to pain, especially if the hallux and/or first metatarsal are involved.
- Missile injuries. When small, hard objects such as stones are struck by the rotating blades they may be hurled from under the mower for distances of 50 yards (46 m) or more. Apart from causing struck trial damage to windows etc., they may cause serious injuries to the eye, even blind ness.3 A survey in New Zealand 4 reported that such missiles were the most common single cause of traumatic hyphema.
Follow these safety tips:
- Preparing lawns before cutting. Remove debris, sticks and stones or any other potential flying objects in the area to be mowed.
- Read the operating guide for your lawn mower. The better you understand how to use your lawn mower, you will be safer.
- Never run out in anything that is not grass with your lawnmower. If something in the grass that can’t be removed, such as sprinklers or drain covers, then make sure that the blade passed with the engine off first. If the sheet does not, cut the grass around the object.
- Never remove or alter any safety features on your lawnmower.
- Make sure the area is clear of others before mowing. Turn off the lawnmower if somebody enters the area.
- Keep the kids at home or in another area of the garden supervised while mowing.
- If your lawn mower starts smoking never continue to run. Smoke from your lawn mower means something is way too hot or on fire.
- Never carry a passenger if you use Lawn tractors.
- Be careful about the landfill and don’t direct it toward someone.
- Remember that slopes, especially if we, are potentially hazardous.
- Never put your hands or feet near the rotating blades under the machine.
- Keep all four wheels on the ground. Tilt the mower can cause some unexpected flying from underneath.
- Cutting can be a hard work to stay hydrated with water or lemonade, ice tea.
- Stop lawn mower and disengage the blade when finished.
- Clean clippings and other debris from the mower after each use.
You’ll understand that there is no mower “miracle.” It’s all about compromise. Keep in mind that you do not have the same requirements as your neighbor, your lawn does not have the same constraints as your schedule is different, your fitness is your own, that person besides yourself cannot tell you it’s the best mower.